Useful Information

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Pan, Kal, and Van Health Issues

The health issues with my rescued cats are far from being over. I wanted them to get adopted soon as we are crowding here, but it's the least of my priorities now. I want them to be 100% healthy. But the 100% seems to still be far from reach.

This week is a hell week. Mark and I are both miserable to find cure for the 3 rescued kittens who are very sick now.

I get emotional when I see the 3 kittens suffering. The people who have seen me cry because my cat can't breath, or wouldn't eat probably thinks I'm a bit of a looney, but I don't give a shit. I love my cats as much as you love your own sons and daughters. So to vent out, and at the same time keep record of what's going on, I decided to write it here as sort of journal - hopefully, to their recovery.

After Pan's never ending confinement in the clinics and inexplicable skin problems that doesn't seem to be contagious, plus after Lotto's recovery from an unexplained infection, we started to religiously give vitamin C and L-Lysine to all the kittens in this house. I always give them vitamins, but it's the Nutri-plus gel that I think is only good in boosting appetite. Pan is getting Immunosin, a supplement to boost her weak immune system. These all started first week of September.

September 20

We noticed Kal (orange kitten) started sneezing, and his right eye is irritated, but not that bad. We thought, he probably got the colds from Lotto, but he would be OK. We continued with Vitamin C and Lysine. We also clean his eyes regularly by just flushing it with an eye cleaner solution we got from the vet, and applied anti-bacterial, eye drops (Vigamox) twice a day to prevent it from getting worse.

September 22

We noticed Van (black kitten) is also sneezing, and the eye was also a little bit irritated. We have an appointment for checkup on the 23rd so we decided to wait until the check-up so they can give us antibiotic if necessary. We continued the Vitamin C and L-lysine for both, and also started to clean Van's eye. We didn't apply the vigamox yet because it doesn't seem to be that bad. I wanted them to get checked by the vet the next day and have them recommend what to do.

September 23

We went to the Animal House for the follow up check-up. Both were de-wormed. I told the doctor that they started to sneeze, first Kal, followed by Van. I also told them about the eye irritation. I told them about the vigamox that I also got from them a month ago when we first got Kal (who used to have eye infection too). I told her we had been using it on Kal for three days now. She asked if it seemed to work.

Mark said "Yeah, well... it doesn't get worse, so was wondering if we should continue".

And so they said it's OK and just continue using it. They also prescribed amoxicillin trihydrate to give the kittens, 3x a day. Other than that, they said they are healthy. So we went home happy and started their antibiotic right away.

September 24

There was no improvement on Kal's eye. It seemed that there's no change. It's still red, with lots of mucus discharge - but to us it doesn't look like it's getting worse either. But Van's a different story. Even with the eye flushing and vigamox treatment, her right eye seem to look worse. The conjunctiva is inflamed, and her eyes are getting smaller and smaller. We put our faith on the vigamox, since it's been just a day of doing it. We proceeded as usual.

September 25

No change on Van's eye. Still swollen conjunctiva, with more mucus secretion. We clean it regularly to make sure that the mucus won't build up and get crusty. We still apply the vigamox, although I'm already doubting that it's working. If it is working, we should be seeing at least a little improvement by now. And if it does work, it should show on Kal, who's been using it for more than 3 days.

But Kal's eyes were still the same. Red, swollen, with lots of mucus discharge. His sneezing is also getting worse. But then again, I have to put my trust in the anti-biotic which is probably just making it's way to build it's army inside his tiny body.

Earlier in the evening, we were visited by our friend, a fellow cat-lover. I prepared a failed-cendol-but-still-yummy, chitchat, hung out for a little bit. Gave anti-biotic to Kal and Van. Cleaned both eyes and gave vigamox drops. Van's eye is getting smaller, but it's still opened. Then we went out for dinner.

We came home after about 2 1/2 hours. We checked on Van's eye, and to our horror, we couldn't open it anymore. It's stuck. We can open the lid, but the conjunctival sack is closed. We rushed immediately to the 24 hour Animal House.

Around 12:30 midnight, when we came, we are welcomed by my not so favorite vet. Gerry and I are quite not very impressed with his skills, but nevertheless, he's the attending vet. Anyways, he changed the eye medication to ilium chloroint. He gave Van an anti-inflammatory shot, and then flush her right eye with an eye cleaning solution. The problem with this vet is that he's hard to communicate with. We don't know if he's understanding us or not. Most of the time, he contradicts himself, but I'm not going to elaborate on that. So Mark asked him, if he can open the conjunctival sack, because how are we suppose to apply the medication if it's closed. Mark asked him to flush it again and at least open it up for us so we can do it ourselves. But the vet said no, do not open the sack it's extremely painful. So there, we got our medicines, got Van's eye flushed but the sack still closed. We went home confused if can apply the medication outside the conjunctival sack since it wouldn't open, and if the medication will work that way.

September 26

Mark wakes up every 2 hours to check on Van, frequently removing the mucus and flushing it with eye solution. We were scared that we might not be able to open even the lids.

At 9am, since we were confused about the vet telling us to not open the eye, but at the same time didn't tell us how we will apply the medication, we decided to go to a bigger veterinary clinic, in the hopes that they have an eye specialist, plus they have all the equipment to perform test. We rushed to Vets In Practice (VIP) in Mandaluyong. This time, Pan also started to sneeze. So we brought the three kittens to be evaluated.

We gave all the information. Medications that we applied, for how long, their symptoms, what happened the other night - everything in detail... It was exhausting. The vet asked us to leave the 3 kittens and come back for them. Apparently, there's such thing as eye specialist on cats, and they have it. The doctor will after lunch so we were asked to leave the kittens.

Mark and I were both hopeful for positive results. I called up at 5pm to check if I can pick up my kittens and what's the update. And there, our worst nightmare was about to be extracted right on our faces. The doctor evaluated Van, and she said that the right eye is already blind due to the infection. They said they managed to open the conjunctival sack and examine the eye. They also put the same medication. They said there's nothing we can do now, but to wait until the swelling stops. Worse case, they will have to remove the eye if the infection will not subside to save the other eye. I was crying on the phone while the vet was saying this. I don't know where we went wrong. I can't just let Van lose her eye...

I was feeling miserable, and just kept on crying. I felt like a liar to Van telling her she'll be fine, when she wouldn't. I don't know who to blame. I don't understand where we went wrong, when we tried to take care of all their health issues at the earliest stage. I don't know who screwed up. I was blaming myself at some point, that I already have suspicion the fucking vigamox is not working, but I still continued. But then what can I do? It's prescribed. And besides, it was already changed by the doctor and still nothing.... I was totally miserable.

So we picked them up. Kal's eye said is still OK and just continue cleaning and medication. They also changed their anti-biotic to something stronger (Cefalixin). The three were asked to take it 2x a day. They advised to do eye cleaning on Van every 2 hours, as well as apply the medication. They also recommended us to do nebulizer on the kittens to help them breathe. We went home with a broken heart.

Mark immediately ran to Greenbelt to get the stuff needed. We do not have a nebulizer. It was expensive. The medications and frequent visit to the vet these past weeks had really cost us an arm and leg. We seriously don't have a budget for a nebulizer at the moment, but we decided to get one anyway. We were thinking that if anyone of them dies because we are cheap, we will never forgive ourselves.

After 2 hours, he came home. Just about time to clean Van's eye again. But alas! the fucking conjunctival sack was closed again! There's no way we can open it. So we started fighting, he was blaming me that I waited too long. I was telling him that it has just been 2 hours, and I couldn't do it myself either. I need his help. I started panicking and crying again. I didn't think twice, I said we should go back. But since VIP is farther (located in another city), he suggested to just go to Animal House since we will just ask them to open it, flush it, nothing more.

I was praying to not see my not so favorite vet because if it's him, Van's doomed. And thank God! Van's doctor was luckily there in the late shift! She checked up Van like everyone did. She showed us what has to be removed, but asked us to step out while she do the procedure. I was already crying that's why she didn't want me to see. It must be painful. After that, she called us back in. I told her what the other vet said, that Van's eye is already blind. But she said no, the eyes looked OK, just clouded with puss and mucus due to the conjunctivitis. She said that it's not blind yet. She gave us hope. She said that we just have to make sure to keep it open so we can apply the medication. She instructed us to force open it if necessary, scrape the fucking puss when cleaning. She was the most helpful of all the vets we have seen today. She explained everything about the infection, and like the other vet said, there's nothing we can do but to wait until antibiotic kicks in, and the swelling stops. She just advised to continue medications. So off we went.

Unfortunately, Van's eye closed again, after an hour. We attempted to force open it, but I just couldn't bear Van's cries. And here we go again, I told Mark we should go back, and this time, let's just have Van confined in the clinic. I even wondered why they instructed us to force open the eye, when we are not medically qualified to do that. We were afraid to make things worse. We might scrape the conjunctival sack and not the puss, we can't tell the difference anymore.

In less than 3 days, Van turned from bad to worst. We went back to Animal House, had her confined, told everything all over again in details to the vet that's on night shift... it's overly exhausting. I don't want anyone committing mistakes in the medication so we made sure that everything is written...

We went home and I was still crying. I don't know what to do anymore with Van, nor with Kal, nor with Pan... I just want them to be well...

No comments:

Post a Comment