Useful Information

Sunday, February 17, 2013

Robbie, the Orange Tabby

Here's the story of Robbie.

I was passing by the stretch of Roxas Blvd driving back from Cavite city one afternoon. The traffic was getting moderate to slow when I saw this kitten from afar sitting on its paws on the side of an island in the middle of the highway. There's not a single time I remember that I have driven to or from somewhere without seeing at least one dead cat, so I was getting ready to say my prayers thinking it's another dead cat (sad but true). As I passed by, I noticed that it moved. It was a quick decision, the traffic was moderate to slow, and I had a chance to stop so I did it, got out of my car, walked to the cat while cars were honking at me, and immediately grabbed the kitten. He was taken by surprise and didn't get a chance to run away.

He was panting and dehydrated from sitting under the scorching afternoon heat. I immediately took him to the Animal House clinic for check up and confinement. He's about 3-4 months old. Aside from dehydration, he also have a bit of eye infection. But other than that, he looks good. The vet said he seemed to be just dumped recently because he still seems to be healthy other than those 2 things. But as precaution, I had to keep him confined in the clinic for a few days. I don't want to compromise the health of my other 6 cats at home in case orange tabby is sick, plus Nishi's still not well and the last thing I want is to stress her.

Robbie, in the Animal House clinic.He's about 3-4 months old.



He didn't have a name then, and in the clinic he's just known as the "Mulder Cat". To be honest, I can no longer take any more rescues. I have been telling this forever, I have reached my max, space has ran out and my hands are more than full to take another - but then again, I couldn't turn my back. It could have been as easy as turning a blind eye and hope that someone else would pick him up. But I knew chances are he won't get picked up and he'll get run over, it's just a matter of time. So I actively looked for at least someone to foster and offered to provide everything the kitten needs. Unfortunately, no one came forward.

Robbie's emoticon chart.

After a week of staying at the clinic, I brought him home. I gave him half or our balcony and made sure that no cat can cross from one side to another. I wanted to keep him separated for at least another week until I am very sure that he doesn't carry any infectious disease. I also gave him a  name - Robbie. I think he looks like a Robbie :).

But Robbie turned out to be a "Houdini". After his disappearing act and got me all worried, I worked so hard to make his side of the balcony secured - only to fail miserably. I woke up one morning surrounded with my cats - AND ROBBIE. Beside me. Sniffing my armpit. How the hell did he escape again?! I can never figure out.

Robbie, 10 days after rescue, now getting cozy.

Robbie turned out to be very vocal and playful kitten. He's ready for adoption now. And as always, one of my requirements is he has to be an indoor cat.  I hope to find Robbie a good family to adopt him soon. If you are interested to adopt, please leave me a comment here.

Ciao for now!

2 comments:

  1. Just a quick update, Robbie's been adopted a few months ago and is living a quality loving life with his new pet parents. The family who adopted Robbie loves him so much :).

    ReplyDelete